From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: storing predefined INSTALL_MASK directory lists in repos
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 17:11:48
1 On 11/01/2014 18:52, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Dnia 2014-01-11, o godz. 18:15:09
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> A far better method from a user point of view is to install the linguas
6 >> the user explicitly asked for. Your proposal as worded will be taken at
7 >> first glance to mean "install all linguas, but not XX" as most users
8 >> won't see the MASK portion and forget to flip the logic around in their
9 >> head.
10 >
11 > As said on the other mail, I think we could just make portage
12 > implicitly convert LINGUAS into INSTALL_MASK. That is, use the old
13 > variable and give it a bit of new behavior.
14
15 Do you mean retain LINGUAS in make.conf and remove it from "emerge -p"
16 output?
17
18 I don't know much about how LINGUAS works behind the scenes, but you
19 seem to be proposing a scheme that works something like this:
20
21 1. User specifics what LINGUAS they want in make.conf
22 2. Portage magically and invisibly installs files only for that LINGUA
23
24 That seems a good approach, it unclutters emerge -p output [the amount
25 of clutter that causes, together with APACHE2_MODULES, CAMERAS,
26 PHP_MODULES etc is quite unbelievable] and gives the user what they
27 asked for. If you hide the negative logic in the implementation that is
28 double bonus
31 >> How much work is it to get native support for LINGUAS into all ebuilds?
32 >> That would be the intuitive place considering there is already USE flags
33 >> for LINGUAS.
34 >
35 > Honestly? I'm all limbs against LINGUAS in its current form. It's just
36 > extra dumb.
37 >
38 > We have basically two cases:
39 >
40 > 1. packages that make LINGUAS into USE flags and use them to control
41 > l10n. It's just useless extra work and extra rebuilds for locale
42 > change.
43 >
44 > 2. packages that respect LINGUAS implicitly. That is, install only some
45 > of the files silently and you don't even know which were enabled.
46 >
47 > install-mask provides a clean framework to strip linguas with
48 > binpackage friendliness potential.
53 Alan McKinnon
54 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com