From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: storing predefined INSTALL_MASK directory lists in repos
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 17:28:34
1 Dnia 2014-01-11, o godz. 19:11:21
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 11/01/2014 18:52, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Dnia 2014-01-11, o godz. 18:15:09
6 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> napisał(a):
7 > >
8 > >> A far better method from a user point of view is to install the linguas
9 > >> the user explicitly asked for. Your proposal as worded will be taken at
10 > >> first glance to mean "install all linguas, but not XX" as most users
11 > >> won't see the MASK portion and forget to flip the logic around in their
12 > >> head.
13 > >
14 > > As said on the other mail, I think we could just make portage
15 > > implicitly convert LINGUAS into INSTALL_MASK. That is, use the old
16 > > variable and give it a bit of new behavior.
17 >
18 > Do you mean retain LINGUAS in make.conf and remove it from "emerge -p"
19 > output?
20
21 Yes, and no. Packages that explicitly use LINGUAS will still use it
22 as USE flags. However, other packages will get the stripping
23 implicitly.
24
25 > I don't know much about how LINGUAS works behind the scenes, but you
26 > seem to be proposing a scheme that works something like this:
27 >
28 > 1. User specifics what LINGUAS they want in make.conf
29 > 2. Portage magically and invisibly installs files only for that LINGUA
30
31 Well, currently build system often invisibly strips LINGUAS. But this
32 sucks since we don't know if it did it or not afterwards. if portage
33 stripped them, portage will have all the details.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny