From: Kim Bratlie <eonic@××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux 1.3a Final Overview
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 04:55:42
1 > Things already fixed in my current 1.3b trial version:
2 >
3 > - ncurses prob (new gcc revision (r6))
4 > - 2 bogus accounts on tarballs
5 > - emerge rsync complaining about /etc/make.profile
6 > - .. more, can't seem to remember them :)
9 > Please, gimme more! :o)
10 > Thanks in advance
11
12 make.conf:
13
14 CFLAGS="-march=i686 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse -O3 -pipe"
15 CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse -O3 -pipe"
16
17 Works through the bootstrap but fails at emerge system, can't remember on what exactly though. :-/
18 Small thing I guess..
19
20 Other than that I find 1.3a very nice, only problem was changing -march=pentium3 to -march=i686 when compiling lbreakout2 :)
21 Again, a package problem I guess..
22
23 I have a general gentoo problem with my SCSI devices, especially if I try to use SCSI together with IDE, then the system hangs completely so I removed all my IDE devices and now after changing network card (my old network card would give me SCSI errors when doing anything internet related under the gentoo install) the only problem remaining is this:
26 WARNING - Running *really* short on dma buffers
27 WARNING - Running *really* short on dma buffers
28 WARNING - Running *really* short on dma buffers
29 WARNING - Running *really* short on dma buffers
30 ---
31 more of the same...
32
33 SCSI cdrom error : host 0 channel 0 id 3 lun 0 return code = 10000
34 I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector xxxxx
35 cp: read: input/output error
36
37 SCSI cdrom error : host 0 channel 0 id 3 lun 0 return code = 10000
38 I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector xxxxx
39 cp: read: input/output error
40 ---
41 more of the same...
44 I get this when I try to copy stuff from my SCSI CD-RW, both with original discs and discs I've made myself and which work well on other computers. Also when I try to burn CD's I sometimes get input/output errors.
45
46 I see several people have a similar problem with Adaptec SCSI adapters using the AIC7xxx driver, think there might be a problem with it?
47
48 For instance, Erwann Corvellec said in a earlier mail:
51 "I am trying to install gentoo-i686-1.2.iso and while executing mke2fs
52 on a 12GB SCSI partition I get :
53
54 Writing superblocks and filesystem accouting information: Warning -
55 running *really* short on DMA buffers
56 Warning - running *really* short on DMA buffers
57 Warning - running *really* short on DMA buffers
58 ...
59 etc.
60
61 The same command doesn't output any warning on gentoo-i686-1.1a.iso.
62 The gentoo 1.2 kernel flavor is surely the cause. To be more precise, it
63 is maybe the "Adaptec AIC7xxx" driver revision : 6.2.5 on 1.1a vs 6.2.6
64 on 1.2.
67 Erwann CORVELLEC"
70 Only difference is my problems relate to a CD-RW drive and not a harddrive.. it's been a long time since I tried 1.1a so I can't really tell you if I have no problems with that release, but perhaps it's time to look into this? :)
71 However, I can tell you for sure that this problem did not exist on m$ winblows.
72
73 - Kim