From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting the general dev opinion ("Meinungsbild") on some feature
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:30:53
1 Am Sonntag, 20. Januar 2013, 10:39:58 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 >
3 > What's the point? I don't think democracy is the best way to handle
4 > these sorts of things.
5
6 LOL. Yeah, but haven't we tried to give ourselves rules that at least resemble
7 it?
8
9 If I wanted to find out expert opinions and act on that, I'd directly ask a
10 couple of people on IRC that I consider knowledgeable, and then directly
11 follow their advice. No mailing list need be involved. This would be
12 effective, most likely technologically correct, and fast. It would also cause
13 major $hitstorms, since every developer knows best about a lot of things, and
14 since a lot of people would understandably feel bypassed. I would lose commit
15 privileges quite fast.
16
17 On the other hand, if I want to do the ultimate "right thing" in a community
18 sense, I ask on the list and let the discussion develop. I get a lot of
19 opinions. Some of these I consider more, some less sensible; some of these are
20 better, some less well informed. On most issues, even well-informed people
21 will have different opinions - sometimes things are just a matter of personal
22 taste. Getting a real unanimous vote is impossible. I wait for everyone to
23 read his mail; we've already heard that 72h is by far not enough time. (Half a
24 year?) In the meantime the discussion has branched into a couple of topics,
25 and most people have forgotten the original issue... Action may be taken on
26 the day when debian stable has a newer glibc than gentoo (metaphorically
27 speaking).
28
29 We will in the end need a compromise that both gets things done and involves
30 everyone that actively wants to be involved. (And yes, that means reading your
31 mail!)
34 Andreas K. Huettel
35 Gentoo Linux developer
36 dilfridge@g.o