From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SRC_URI component naming collision
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:06:50
1 On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 19:45:41 +0000 Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 14:19 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > Two ways this one can occur.
5 |
6 | [snip]
7 |
8 | Third way ... upstream is a provider of commercial software, and
9 | releases different editions of the same software with identical
10 | filenames.
11
12 Then you must talk to upstream and get them to change their ways.
13
14 | I have the QA team on bug #123926 asserting that they have the right
15 | to tell me to remove packages from the tree, because of basename
16 | $SRC_URI filename collisions.
17
18 We don't *want* to remove the package from the tree. We want to get
19 the breakage fixed.
20
21 | To the best of my knowledge, there's no policy document in existence
22 | empowering the QA team to order package maintainers to remove packages
23 | from Portage. I've asked the team to provide a copy if one exists,
24 | but I haven't seen one yet. The team have (twice now) instead stated
25 | that the email at the top of this thread is their authority.
26
27 There's no policy document in existence that explicitly says that you
28 (by name) can add stuff to the tree either. Most of our policy is
29 undocumented, because it's impossible to cover every situation. The
30 number one rule, however, is to be sensible and not commit things that
31 cause breakages.
32
33 Again, we don't *want* to remove it. On the other hand, if you refuse
34 to work with us to get the problem fixed, we're going to have to do
35 something about it ourselves.
36
37 | Also, I cannot find this SRC_URI rule (as being applied by the QA
38 | team) in any official Gentoo policy document.
39
40 As I recall, pretty much nothing about digests at all is in any
41 official policy document. Nor is nearly anything else on any
42 development topic. However, that it is not explicitly forbidden does
43 not mean that it should be done.
44
45 Where in policy does it say that you shouldn't commit pictures of
46 teletubbies in SVG format in the tree?
49 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
50 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
51 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm