From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SRC_URI component naming collision
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:51:58
1 On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 20:00 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Then you must talk to upstream and get them to change their ways.
3
4 Already covered in the (growing) discussion in bug #123926. UPSTREAM
5 have previously been contacted over the issue, and have not changed
6 their release policy.
7
8 > We don't *want* to remove the package from the tree. We want to get
9 > the breakage fixed.
10
11 In practical, does-it-affect-the-user terms, it's not broken. It's also
12 covered by our NX Guide in the desktop docs section, just to be sure.
13
14 > There's no policy document in existence that explicitly says that you
15 > (by name) can add stuff to the tree either. Most of our policy is
16 > undocumented, because it's impossible to cover every situation. The
17 > number one rule, however, is to be sensible and not commit things that
18 > cause breakages.
19
20 I'm a little rusty at this - it's six years since I ran the DDS4 test
21 team for HP - but isn't one of the internationally recognised
22 requirements of every recognised QA standard that exists that a QA
23 policy should be documented?
24
25 On a practical note, I don't understand how you expect developers to
26 follow an undocumented QA process. Sorry, I just don't get that one.
27
28 > Again, we don't *want* to remove it. On the other hand, if you refuse
29 > to work with us to get the problem fixed, we're going to have to do
30 > something about it ourselves.
31
32 I've refused to do two things, and only two things:
33
34 a) rename the files, and mirror them ourselves, because legally I don't
35 believe we can do this for these packages, and
36 b) to remove the packages from the tree
37
38 Everything else is up for discussion. I think it's unreasonable to say
39 that I'm refusing to work with you.
40
41 Bearing in mind the discussion that's happened in the bug, on IRC with
42 Halcy0n, and in this mailing list, please understand this: I don't
43 believe that the QA team has provided evidence that it has the authority
44 to do anything to these packages over this SRC_URI issue. If the team
45 chooses to take unilateral action, I'll be left with no choice but to
46 file a formal complaint against the team as a consequence.
47
48 I'm happy (and have suggested earlier) that this issue needs to go to
49 the council to be resolved.
50
51 > As I recall, pretty much nothing about digests at all is in any
52 > official policy document. Nor is nearly anything else on any
53 > development topic. However, that it is not explicitly forbidden does
54 > not mean that it should be done.
55 >
56 > Where in policy does it say that you shouldn't commit pictures of
57 > teletubbies in SVG format in the tree?
58
59 The issue at hand is that the QA team is, in this case, repeatedly
60 asking for something it doesn't have the authority to insist on. I also
61 think you're being unreasonable in this specific case.
62
63 Best regards,
64 Stu
65 --
66 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
67 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
68 http://blog.stuartherbert.com/
69
70 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
71 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C