From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:07:36
1 On 1/9/08, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:49:40 +0100
3 > "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o> wrote:
4 > > >> What's the proper fix for when keyword requests stagnate in
5 > > >> bugzilla?
6 > > > That depends upon whether the keyword request is important.
7 > >
8 > > Let's take a real world example: KDE 3.5.5 is old, buggy and has
9 > > some important issues which won't be fixed anymore.
10 >
11 > Yet it's the most proven version on mips.
12 >
13 > > > If it is (and legitimately so
14 > >
15 > > I hope you'll accept it when I say that 3.5.5 is such a legitimate
16 > > case now.
17 >
18 > Why? It was good enough to be keyworded stable at one point.
19 >
20 > > What would you suggest to do now? I think we've done all we could
21 > > short of the following:
22 > >
23 > > a) Drop all keywords but those of mips. Leaves mips and, more
24 > > importantly, its users with a vulnerable and unmaintained set of
25 > > packages.
26 >
27 > ...and break the tree spectacularly, causing huge amounts of pain for
28 > your fellow developers when they encounter horrible repoman output when
29 > they try to do anything.
30 >
31 > > b) package.mask 3.5.5 with a big, fat warning and let the users
32 > > decide. Same drawbacks as a).
33 >
34 > ...and break the tree spectacularly, causing huge amounts of pain for
35 > your fellow developers when they encounter horrible repoman output when
36 > they try to do anything.
37 >
38 > > c) Drop 3.5.5 from the tree. The cleanest but most radical solution.
39 > > If mips' users want KDE, they would have to bug (sic!) the mips team.
40 >
41 > ...and break the tree spectacularly, causing huge amounts of pain for
42 > your fellow developers when they encounter horrible repoman output when
43 > they try to do anything.
44
45 Actually if they dump kde-3.5.5 and anything depending on it, then
46 they don't break the tree and everyone is happy, no?
47 --
48 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list