From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:01:33
1 On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:49:40 +0100
2 "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o> wrote:
3 > >> What's the proper fix for when keyword requests stagnate in
4 > >> bugzilla?
5 > > That depends upon whether the keyword request is important.
6 >
7 > Let's take a real world example: KDE 3.5.5 is old, buggy and has
8 > some important issues which won't be fixed anymore.
9
10 Yet it's the most proven version on mips.
11
12 > > If it is (and legitimately so
13 >
14 > I hope you'll accept it when I say that 3.5.5 is such a legitimate
15 > case now.
16
17 Why? It was good enough to be keyworded stable at one point.
18
19 > What would you suggest to do now? I think we've done all we could
20 > short of the following:
21 >
22 > a) Drop all keywords but those of mips. Leaves mips and, more
23 > importantly, its users with a vulnerable and unmaintained set of
24 > packages.
25
26 ...and break the tree spectacularly, causing huge amounts of pain for
27 your fellow developers when they encounter horrible repoman output when
28 they try to do anything.
29
30 > b) package.mask 3.5.5 with a big, fat warning and let the users
31 > decide. Same drawbacks as a).
32
33 ...and break the tree spectacularly, causing huge amounts of pain for
34 your fellow developers when they encounter horrible repoman output when
35 they try to do anything.
36
37 > c) Drop 3.5.5 from the tree. The cleanest but most radical solution.
38 > If mips' users want KDE, they would have to bug (sic!) the mips team.
39
40 ...and break the tree spectacularly, causing huge amounts of pain for
41 your fellow developers when they encounter horrible repoman output when
42 they try to do anything.
43
44 > The solution I favour by far is c). What's your suggestion or did I
45 > miss any other viable solution? Just doing nothing is not an option
46 > here, I'd say, but state your case.
47
48 3.5.5 was good enough to be keyworded stable at one point. Thus, it
49 can't be *that* bad.
52 Ciaran McCreesh