From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] -Werror unwanted?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 18:26:21
1 On Mon, 14 May 2012 18:01:22 +0200
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > -Werror is basically saying that it is not safe to ship code which
5 > produces warnings.
6
7 An upstream demanding -Werror should work means upstream would need to
8 test rather a lot more than their own favourite
9 distro/architecture/library versions/kernel/userland, which isn't
10 going to happen.
11
12 > I personally think that if an upstream says that no warnings must be
13 > produced by the code, and a developer should look at them before
14 > declaring any warnings safe, then that is best followed.
15
16 Upstream does not need to take into account warnings produced by
17 compilers for lesser known architectures, as explained above.
18
19 As an upstream development aid to check code that has just been added
20 or changed, -Werror is fine, but not in the wild jungle that is Gentoo.
21 You might as well just look at the warnings themselves instead of
22 breaking the build system by making them fatal. In other words, for
23 upstream development it's convenient, but never for our users out there.
24
25 Also, bug reports based on *FLAGS=-Werror will be closed as INVALID.
26 (Perhaps we should document that too.)
29 jer