From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: david@×××××××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 00:49:49
1 On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 18:58, david@×××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:36:44PM +0100, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
3 > > Well you can either enable the option implicitly without a use flag or
4 > > enable it with explicit mention dependent on a use flag. The more packages
5 > > which use that option the more the likelihood of a global use flag else
6 > > local or no use flag.
9 > Ok, well can anybody explain to me the messyness of the 'doc' use flag
10 > ? I see some packages support it, some don't, the ones that do seem
11 > to all do it differently. It would be really nice if say.. i wanted a
12 > small router type system and I could give emerge USE="-man -info -doc"
13 >
14 > and omit man pages, info pages, and /usr/share/doc type things...
15 > is there any effort for this or do people not care ?
16 > /me would be willing to try such a thing if there was interest
17
18 I would love to see such a thing. This would be great for anyone with a
19 large number of machines, or for building small installations.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Developer, Gentoo Linux
24 Games Team
25