From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libressl status
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 13:26:04
1 On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò
2 <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
3 >
4 > Since as you point out the two packages are vastly API compatible, it makes
5 > them ABI incompatible and conflicting.
6
7 ++
8
9 If they really want to improve the security of function calls that
10 they consider inherently secure, they should just introduce new
11 functions and deprecate the old ones, or make old ones wrappers around
12 new ones if that is appropriate. If they go with the deprecation
13 route then they need to avoid using the same SONAMEs, and if they go
14 the wrapper route they need to make sure that they're compatible
15 across SONAMEs. Of course, any re-implementation could have bugs, but
16 the key is that upstream has to recognize these incompatibilities as
17 being valid bugs that they intend to fix. Right now if something
18 designed to link against openssl breaks against libressl there is a
19 good chance that libressl will just say it is intentional, which then
20 leaves us in the position of having to deal with the mess.
21
22 I agree that renaming things isn't a great solution either, and that
23 this really needs to be fixed upstream. However, I don't really like
24 it going into the tree the way it is, because sooner or later we're
25 going to end up with blockers or bugs. Either you can't install foo
26 with barssl, or you can, and it just might break but nobody really
27 keeps track of that.
28
29 It really doesn't matter which is the better implementation - this is
30 just a really messy way to do a transition.
33 Rich