From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libressl status
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 18:35:55
1 On 04/05/2015 03:25 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò
3 > <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Since as you point out the two packages are vastly API compatible, it makes
6 >> them ABI incompatible and conflicting.
7 >
8 > ++
9 >
10 > If they really want to improve the security of function calls that
11 > they consider inherently secure, they should just introduce new
12 > functions and deprecate the old ones, or make old ones wrappers around
13 > new ones if that is appropriate. If they go with the deprecation
14 > route then they need to avoid using the same SONAMEs, and if they go
15 > the wrapper route they need to make sure that they're compatible
16 > across SONAMEs. Of course, any re-implementation could have bugs, but
17 > the key is that upstream has to recognize these incompatibilities as
18 > being valid bugs that they intend to fix. Right now if something
19 > designed to link against openssl breaks against libressl there is a
20 > good chance that libressl will just say it is intentional, which then
21 > leaves us in the position of having to deal with the mess.
22 >
23 > I agree that renaming things isn't a great solution either, and that
24 > this really needs to be fixed upstream. However, I don't really like
25 > it going into the tree the way it is, because sooner or later we're
26 > going to end up with blockers or bugs. Either you can't install foo
27 > with barssl, or you can, and it just might break but nobody really
28 > keeps track of that.
29 >
30 > It really doesn't matter which is the better implementation - this is
31 > just a really messy way to do a transition.
34 You are ranting at the wrong place. If you want to make a difference,
35 take this to the openbsd mailing lists.