From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] You currently cannot smoothly upgrade a 4 months old Gentoo system
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 23:16:57
1 On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 2:50 PM Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Am Mittwoch, 3. November 2021, 22:39:41 CET schrieb Ulrich Mueller:
4 > > >>>>> On Wed, 03 Nov 2021, Andreas K Huettel wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > The mistake was to allow the use of EAPI=8 too early. In the future,
7 > > > we should have a new EAPI supported by portage for at least some
8 > > > months before the EAPI is even used in the main tree. Not even
9 > > > speaking about stable here.
10 > >
11 > > I tend to disagree. Adding an ebuild with a new EAPI cannot break
12 > > anything, because it will simply be invisible to old package managers.
13 >
14 > Except that you need to keep track of version dependencies across the whole
15 > tree.
16 >
17 > So, yes, this is in principle correct, and in practice with our current
18 > tooling more or less impossible to do reliably.
19
20 I think the obvious easy solution here is to run a CI that is using
21 older stuff, and report problems when commits break that.
22
23 It's less clear what to do about it though; the problems Whissi
24 raised.. it's not like we didn't know about them (they were known),
25 but we chose not to do anything about it?
26 Or we learned about them too late (and figured the majority of users
27 had seen it; so fixing them was not necessary?)
28
29 -A
32 > [Part of the output Whissi pasted was (more or less) that a Perl upgrade
33 > required a rebuild of Perl modules. Unfortunately, even a single one that
34 > is not available for rebuild makes the emerge bail out.]
37 > --
38 > Andreas K. Hüttel
39 > dilfridge@g.o
40 > Gentoo Linux developer
41 > (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)