From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: mjo@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 01:09:04
1 On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 19:47:50 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/14/2014 06:11 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> For users, both options are worse than the status quo.
7 > >
8 > > The first option would start reverting things back to ~ and users
9 > > would have to unmask them.
10 > >
11 > > The second option would introduce new things to stable which may
12 > > not be stable due to not being tested on the arch.
13 > >
14 > > The second option is worse than the first imo, that's why I didn't
15 > > propose it first.
16 > >
17 > > The status quo is not good, because we are forced to keep old, and
18 > > potentially buggy, versions of software around longer than
19 > > necessary.
20 >
21 > So you're going to force stable users onto the unstable, untested
22 > version, which they could have done anyway if they wanted to. Strictly
23 > worse than the status quo (where it's optional).
24
25 This is under the assumption that the user knows of the state of the
26 stabilization worsening; if the user is unaware of that change, the
27 "could have done anyway" might be less common and first something bad
28 would need to happen before they realize the worsened stabilization.
31 With kind regards,
32
33 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
34 Gentoo Developer
35
36 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
37 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
38 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D