From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GRUB stage1 file not found
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:19:47
1 On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 09:55:32PM +0100, Knut Feiert wrote:
2
3 > Today I tried to install Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc4_pre2 . I am not very familiar
4 > with linux and followed the installation guide step by step. The vi
5 > confrontation in step 4 had an additional quirk for me because of the german
6 > keyboard layout. ( colon is uppercase o-umlaut) .... But the stopper was
7 > step 5: At the GRUB prompt I typed: root (hd0,12) setup (hd0,11) and grub
8 > said checking for /boot/grub/stage1 and /grub/stage1 file not found
9
10 To solve the kemap problem, before you begin you should type:
11
12 # loadkeys de-latin1-nodeadkeys
13
14 I need to add this to the install guide.
15
16 As for the GRUB problem, I think you are specifying the wrong root and boot
17 partitions. GRUB's "root partition" is our "boot partition".
18
19 Try this in grub:
20
21 grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
22
23 GRUB should then tell you what partitions it found stage1 on. This should
24 be the partition you specify in the grub "root" command. I hope that helps.
25
26 Best Regards,
29 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
30 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org