From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GRUB stage1 file not found
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:19:47
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 09:55:32PM +0100, Knut Feiert wrote:

> Today I tried to install Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc4_pre2 . I am not very familiar > with linux and followed the installation guide step by step. The vi > confrontation in step 4 had an additional quirk for me because of the german > keyboard layout. ( colon is uppercase o-umlaut) .... But the stopper was > step 5: At the GRUB prompt I typed: root (hd0,12) setup (hd0,11) and grub > said checking for /boot/grub/stage1 and /grub/stage1 file not found
To solve the kemap problem, before you begin you should type: # loadkeys de-latin1-nodeadkeys I need to add this to the install guide. As for the GRUB problem, I think you are specifying the wrong root and boot partitions. GRUB's "root partition" is our "boot partition". Try this in grub: grub> find /boot/grub/stage1 GRUB should then tell you what partitions it found stage1 on. This should be the partition you specify in the grub "root" command. I hope that helps. Best Regards, -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org Gentoo Technologies, Inc.