From: Knut Feiert <Knut.Feiert@×××××.de>
To: "gentoo-dev@g.o" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GRUB stage1 file not found
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:15:43
1 On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:19:47 -0700, drobbins@g.o wrote:
2
3 >To solve the kemap problem, before you begin you should type:
4 >
5 ># loadkeys de-latin1-nodeadkeys
6 >
7 >I need to add this to the install guide.
8
9 Doing this after the command env-update in step 4
10 gives me back my keyboard.
14 >As for the GRUB problem, I think you are specifying the wrong root and boot
15 >partitions. GRUB's "root partition" is our "boot partition".
16 >
17 >Try this in grub:
18 >
19 >grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
20 >
21 >GRUB should then tell you what partitions it found stage1 on. This should
22 >be the partition you specify in the grub "root" command. I hope that helps.
25 GRUB tells me (hd0,11) and after reading the install guide more
26 carefully I only can agree!
27
28 But after the command root (hd0,11) neither "find" nor "setup" can
29 find stage1 any more.
30
31 Could it be a problem that fdisk does not write the partition records
32 in disk order? I have split a former linux partition (hda8) in boot and
33 root
34 and left the swap (hda9) and ended up with boot as hda12, root as
35 hda13,
36 and swap as hda8.
37
38 Knut