From: Francesco Riosa <francesco@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE & KEYWORDS relation
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:30:21
1 Chris Gianelloni ha scritto:
2
3 >On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 20:47 +0100, Francesco Riosa wrote:
6 >>bob already know how to downgrade but he can't because his boss has
7 >>crashed its chair on his head and now he his at the hospital.
8 >>bad boss, bad world
12 >In your scenario, Bob is an Admin. If Bob were *my* admin and had not
13 >taken the time to read the ChangeLog for the package and not made
14 >changes on the test network before making them to the production
15 >network, Bob would be looking for a new job after that coffee. Also, if
16 >Bob were not smart enough to not stay with the stable portion of Gentoo,
17 >which is designed to not have feature loss and other such problems, but
18 >was instead using the "testing" branch on production servers, then Bob
19 >would be looking for a new job and I would be looking for a smarter
20 >administrator.
21 >
22 >The whole point is that if you are blindly upgrading *anything* that you
23 >rely on for day-to-day work, that really there is only one person to
24 >blame, and that is yourself.
27 Chris,
28 Really we are not speaking about me, I blindly make all kind of crappy
29 stuff but _**never**_ on production system. Seldom on backup of
30 production systems. I like the risk but not when it compromise other
31 person than me.
32
33 *The* whole points are
34 that there is no way of choose a set of features (via USE flag) and
35 expect that emerge keep updated my system obeying to my needs.
36 the stable/unstable stuff it's *not* a point what happen if upstream of
37 say "l7" goes away for six month? your latest stable version will *stop*
38 for six month.
39 Maybe iptables-1.3 must become stable before, and *ONLY* the people who
40 want "l7" must stop at 1.2.9
41 * this * is * the * point *
42
43 Now you can say that it's easy or not, possible or impossible, you can
44 ever say do it yourself (but expect that I do it).
45 What you can*not* say is that is a stable/unstable problem, or that the
46 user must check before the user *will* check before he/she should not be
47 costrained to mess with its /etc/portage/package.mask for *this* kind of
48 stuff.
49
50 my apologies if that was not clear before, hoping that now it's better
51 explained
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list