From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 19:33:03
1 On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:03:33 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:05:23 -0400
5 > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
6 >
8 > > Hash: SHA256
9 > >
10 > > On 31/08/12 10:56 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
11 > > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
12 > > >>
13 > > >> I believe that the more important direction here is to make
14 > > >> development *easier*, not harder. Adding the same DEPENDs over
15 > > >> and over again to every single package is at least frustrating.
16 > > >> Similarly frustrating would be if those 'reduced systems' had to
17 > > >> rebuild gcc every time they wanted to compile something... oh
18 > > >> wait, they would have to bootstrap it every time.
19 > > >>
20 > > >
21 > > > you would achieve it better by adding pkgconfig to DEPEND in
22 > > > eutils.eclass than putting it in @system since in the latter case
23 > > > it would also be a RDEPEND of everything basically
24 > > >
25 > >
26 > > And realistically that's where the DEPEND should be anyways, IMO --
27 > > appended by the eclass where the function is that uses it. If this
28 > > means prune_libtool_files() gets separated out of eutils and put in
29 > > its own eclass (so that all the eutils inheritors don't suddenly
30 > > need virtual/pkgconfig unnecessarily), then so be it.
31 >
32 > I wasn't referring to the function at the moment but at the overall
33 > fact that practically any C/C++ package depending on any non-standard
34 > library practically should depend on pkg-config. A library not
35 > providing pkg-config file is simply broken.
38 Hu? You know, some people think pkgconfig is a poorman's workaround for
39 a different problem. You don't need .pc files for dynamic linking
40 because:
41 1) there is a standard include search path
42 2) there is a standard library path
43 3) elf shared objects support dependencies
44
45 You might need pkgconfig for static linking because static archives do
46 not support 3). Isn't it the thing that should be improved instead ?
47
48 Alike you claim a library not providing a .pc is broken, I can claim
49 that a library relying on it is broken because it is violating 1)
50 and/or 2) which are well established unix behavior.
51
52 A.