From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: axs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 16:03:48
1 On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:05:23 -0400
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 31/08/12 10:56 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
8 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
9 > >>
10 > >> I believe that the more important direction here is to make
11 > >> development *easier*, not harder. Adding the same DEPENDs over
12 > >> and over again to every single package is at least frustrating.
13 > >> Similarly frustrating would be if those 'reduced systems' had to
14 > >> rebuild gcc every time they wanted to compile something... oh
15 > >> wait, they would have to bootstrap it every time.
16 > >>
17 > >
18 > > you would achieve it better by adding pkgconfig to DEPEND in
19 > > eutils.eclass than putting it in @system since in the latter case
20 > > it would also be a RDEPEND of everything basically
23 > And realistically that's where the DEPEND should be anyways, IMO --
24 > appended by the eclass where the function is that uses it. If this
25 > means prune_libtool_files() gets separated out of eutils and put in
26 > its own eclass (so that all the eutils inheritors don't suddenly need
27 > virtual/pkgconfig unnecessarily), then so be it.
28
29 I wasn't referring to the function at the moment but at the overall
30 fact that practically any C/C++ package depending on any non-standard
31 library practically should depend on pkg-config. A library not
32 providing pkg-config file is simply broken.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny