From: Nugzar Nebieridze <nugzar@××××××××××.com>
To: Stefan Jones <cretin@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] DEBUG version of Gentoo Linux
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:14:35
1 Thank you for response,
2
3 but as for FULL debugging support, is the -g flag and DEBUGBUILD
4 variable enough or I should add some extra stuff??
5
6 SJ> Well to have full debuging support (ie. filenames and line numbers in gdb)
7 SJ> you need to add -g to your CFLAGS and export the env variable DEBUGBUILD
8 SJ> (which will stop the debuging symbols being striped).
9 SJ> If just having the function names in a gdb backtrace is enough just make
10 SJ> sure -fomit-frame-pointer is NOT in your CFLAGS.
11 SJ> Full debug support will take up ALOT more space and isn't really needed as
12 SJ> you rarely have to debug system libraries. I just compile the application
13 SJ> which I am working on with -g, just getting the function names in gdb for
14 SJ> libraries is fine for me.
15 SJ> Stefan
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list