From: Alan <alan@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DEBUG version of Gentoo Linux
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:41:26
1 For gcc debugging I normally use -g -ggdb (the second flag makes things
2 work nicely with gdb, see man gcc for details).
3
4 On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 06:03:09PM +0400, Nugzar Nebieridze wrote:
5 > Thank you for response,
6 >
7 > but as for FULL debugging support, is the -g flag and DEBUGBUILD
8 > variable enough or I should add some extra stuff??
9 >
10 > SJ> Well to have full debuging support (ie. filenames and line numbers in gdb)
11 > SJ> you need to add -g to your CFLAGS and export the env variable DEBUGBUILD
12 > SJ> (which will stop the debuging symbols being striped).
13 > SJ> If just having the function names in a gdb backtrace is enough just make
14 > SJ> sure -fomit-frame-pointer is NOT in your CFLAGS.
15 > SJ> Full debug support will take up ALOT more space and isn't really needed as
16 > SJ> you rarely have to debug system libraries. I just compile the application
17 > SJ> which I am working on with -g, just getting the function names in gdb for
18 > SJ> libraries is fine for me.
19 > SJ> Stefan
23 > --
24 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
27 Alan <alan@×××××.org> - http://arcterex.net
29 "The only thing that experience teaches us is that experience teaches
30 us nothing. -- Andre Maurois (Emile Herzog)
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list