From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc service script dependency checker
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 18:31:48
1 On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 09:37:24 -0800 Christopher Head wrote:
2 > On December 4, 2014 8:12:58 AM PST, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > >Yes. But booting as much services as possible is even more
5 > >preferable, especially when box is remote.
6 >
7 > Are you sure booting most, but not all, services in a loop is
8 > always better than booting none of them at all?
9
10 If we're talking about early loop solver, then yes. Because this
11 solver never breaks "need" dependencies.
12
13 > What if I have an insecure dæmon listening on TCP, I need it
14 > running, but I want to ensure only local processes can connect to
15 > it? Obviously, I would make it “need iptables”, assuming the dæmon
16 > doesn’t have its own bind address config knob.
17
18 And "need iptables" will do the job. Either weaker part in the loop
19 will be broken, or your loop will be left unsolved (e.g. if
20 iptables directly or indirectly _needs_ your daemon).
21
22 > What if now, by some accident, iptables ends up in a loop (maybe
23 > not even a loop including $insecure_service, but some other loop
24 > entirely), and it’s the randomly chosen victim? Is it still good to
25 > boot as many services as possible?
26
27 Yes, it is, because only weak dependencies like "after" and "use"
28 may be broken (and after is considered stronger than use IIRC).
29
30 As for later loop detector, it may break need dependency. Current
31 need dependency for iptables is fsck <- localmount <- iptables, so
32 it is still unlikely that your daemon will be caught in such
33 need-only loop. Though on author's request later loop solver is out
34 of scope of this discussion now...
35
36 Best regards,
37 Andrew Savchenko