From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Planet Gentoo released
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:39:26
1 On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 10:27:31AM +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > >So I can see my blog entries show up on it without waiting around for
4 > >half of forever. More than 15 minutes is very annoying.
5 > >
6 > >What's the rationale for having it happen less often? Maybe it's a major
7 > >drain on resources, but from my ignorant mind, it seems unlikely.
8 > >
9 > >Has anyone checked with some other planet maintainers (e.g.,
10 > >planet.freedesktop.org, planet.gnome.org) to see how often they do it?
11 > It is currently set to update every hour (xx:02). I personally think this
12 > is a good enough delay, to avoid too much pointless traffic etc.
13 >
14 > On the other hand, I was also wondering how regularly other planets update.
15 > If anybody knows anyone in the know, please get me in contact.
16 >
17 > How often is Planet Gentoo Experimental updating?
18 From my Apache logs, it seems to be once an hour, around xx:31.
19
20 I agree that once an hour is a very reasonable time, as Planet/0.2
21 fetches the page every time according to my logs, but I'm not certain if
22 this is because of the way I build my RSS feed.
23
24 I don't know if Planet includes 'If-Modified-Since' in it's requests.
25 If it does, then I think halving the time may be appropriate, as nearly
26 all requests will return only an HTTP header as the page has not
27 changed. The traffic and load in this case should be very small.
30 Robin Hugh Johnson
31 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
32 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
33 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
34 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85