From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving UID/GID assignments to api.gentoo.org
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 22:04:22
1 On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 12:48 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 05:41:56PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
4 > > On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 1:49 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 11:29:50PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
7 > > > > Hi,
8 > > > >
9 > > > > Some time ago William asked me to move UID/GID assignments from wiki [1]
10 > > > > to something more accessible. I've finally gotten around to draft
11 > > > > something, and I'd like to hear your comments about it. The idea is to
12 > > > > keep a whitespace-separated record format file in api.gentoo.org repo.
13 > > > >
14 > > > > This is mostly inspired by Fedora's format, specifically the ability to
15 > > > > specify both UID and GID for matching user/group on the same line.
16 > > > > I've also decided not to attempt to specify disjoint Linux and FreeBSD
17 > > > > users/groups on a single line. Instead, they are specified separately
18 > > > > and defined by providers (as suggested by Ulrich).
19 > > > >
20 > > > > Sample, along with big comment explaining the file format, below.
21 > > >
22 > > > I'm not sure how I feel about whitespace delimiters for this. withno
23 > > > further specification, it would make these two lines completely valid:
24 > > >
25 > > > root 0 0 baselayout
26 > > > bin 1 1 baselayout some notes here
27 > >
28 > > That's true, but I think with editor settings embedded in the file and
29 > > visual pattern of vertical alignment we shouldn't expect a bunch of
30 > > problems.
31 >
32 > We don't honor editor settings in files by default, so this will not
33 > work out of the box (see this in /etc/vim/vimrc).
34 >
35 > --- cut here ---
36 > " {{{ Modeline settings
37 > " We don't allow modelines by default. See bug #14088 and bug #73715.
38 > " If you're not concerned about these, you can enable them on a per-user
39 > " basis by adding "set modeline" to your ~/.vimrc file.
40 > set nomodeline
42 > --- cut here ---
43 >
44 > If we are going to require a modeline, shouldn't we consider allowing
45 > them by default so we can work out of the box instead of having to tweak
46 > our editor settings?
47
48 Perhaps we should. Is this really an important point for you?
49
50 I don't think any of that needs to hold up Michał's proposal though.