From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving UID/GID assignments to api.gentoo.org
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 22:53:52
1 On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 03:04:02PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 12:48 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > If we are going to require a modeline, shouldn't we consider allowing
4 > > them by default so we can work out of the box instead of having to tweak
5 > > our editor settings?
6 >
7 > Perhaps we should. Is this really an important point for you?
8 >
9 > I don't think any of that needs to hold up Michał's proposal though.
10
11 Let's move away from talking about alignment for a minute.
12
13 The reason I responded originally was that his proposal is a bit
14 vague. It says that whitespace separates fields; that could be spaces
15 or tabs. whitespace can also be a completely valid character in
16 the notes field. So, since he says we can add more fields in the future,
17 you either have to escape whitespace in the notes field or quote the
18 field.
19
20 Also, he may have used one whitespace character to separate fields in his
21 example, but the spec allows any number of whitespace characters.
22
23 William