From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving UID/GID assignments to api.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 02:51:03
1 On Sun, 2019-08-11 at 17:53 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 03:04:02PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 12:48 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > If we are going to require a modeline, shouldn't we consider allowing
5 > > > them by default so we can work out of the box instead of having to tweak
6 > > > our editor settings?
7 > >
8 > > Perhaps we should. Is this really an important point for you?
9 > >
10 > > I don't think any of that needs to hold up Michał's proposal though.
11 >
12 > Let's move away from talking about alignment for a minute.
13 >
14 > The reason I responded originally was that his proposal is a bit
15 > vague. It says that whitespace separates fields; that could be spaces
16 > or tabs. whitespace can also be a completely valid character in
17 > the notes field. So, since he says we can add more fields in the future,
18 > you either have to escape whitespace in the notes field or quote the
19 > field.
20
21 We can add new fields *in the middle*. That's why there's explicit
22 header line.
23
24 > Also, he may have used one whitespace character to separate fields in his
25 > example, but the spec allows any number of whitespace characters.
28 awk does not have a problem with that.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny