From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving UID/GID assignments to api.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 00:11:44
1 On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 3:54 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 03:04:02PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
4 > > On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 12:48 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > If we are going to require a modeline, shouldn't we consider allowing
6 > > > them by default so we can work out of the box instead of having to tweak
7 > > > our editor settings?
8 > >
9 > > Perhaps we should. Is this really an important point for you?
10 > >
11 > > I don't think any of that needs to hold up Michał's proposal though.
12 >
13 > Let's move away from talking about alignment for a minute.
14 >
15 > The reason I responded originally was that his proposal is a bit
16 > vague. It says that whitespace separates fields; that could be spaces
17 > or tabs. whitespace can also be a completely valid character in
18 > the notes field. So, since he says we can add more fields in the future,
19 > you either have to escape whitespace in the notes field or quote the
20 > field.
21 >
22 > Also, he may have used one whitespace character to separate fields in his
23 > example, but the spec allows any number of whitespace characters.
24
25 Sigh.
26
27 The intention is to make it easily machine parseable and easily
28 readable by humans.
29
30 One or more whitespace characters is easy to recognize by a machine,
31 be they space or tabs. Aligned columns are easily readable by humans.
32 I think humans are able to follow existing convention when adding new
33 lines to the file and don't require specific rules like this.
34
35 There's nothing unclear or vague in his explanation. Can we please proceed?