From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Niches and new developers (especially xbox)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:34:12
1 On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 18:40, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > > How about access to the BIOS? Is that not controlled? Bypassing an
3 > > access control doesn't have to mean stealing games.
4 >
5 > The bios is encrypted. Neither a software exploit or hardware modchip will
6 > allow access to the unencrypted bios. Its like saying that a DVD driver
7 > violates the DMCA because it allows access to the encrypted disk.
8
9 I meant that you are replacing the BIOS. This is something that you
10 should not be able to do and are bypassing the access controls on doing
11 so. It doesn't matter if you never touch any of the original software.
12 If you even replace it, since there are access controls in place to
13 prevent you from doing so, then that counts.
14
15 > Cool, well if you agree with the DVD drive/encrypted data analogy then
16 > xbox-linux is legal and we can proceed with the gentoo plans :)
17
18 I don't agree with it at all. It seems to me like you're stretching
19 things that I say to meet what you want to hear, and that is disturbing
20 as it makes it very hard to have a real conversation about this subject.
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
25 Gentoo Linux
26
27 Is your power animal a penguin?