From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: mulltiib cruft: /emul
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 15:56:21
1 On Wednesday 09 August 2006 10:57, Duncan wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> posted
3 > > looks like your mail server ate this ...
4 > >
5 > > someone remind me why our emul packages install in some obscure
6 > > directory tree rooted in /emul
7 > >
8 > > if we moved these things to the standard lib32 dirs, it would certainly
9 > > ease the pain of people doing multilib building, both in and out of
10 > > portage
11 > >
12 > > it'd also let us free up env.d crap ... but most importantly, it'll stop
13 > > breaking my friggin tab completion for /etc
14 >
15 > It came thru b4. As an amd64 user, I've been hoping a member of the arch
16 > team would reply, as it's a question that seeing it asked, I'm now curious
17 > about myself, but nothing yet.
18
19 i asked some others and they didnt get the e-mail either ... looks like our
20 gentoo mail server is really starting to crash here ...
21
22 > Pure speculation here, but the idea /might/ have been to separate prebuilt
23 > binary stuff into /emul, so it wouldn't conflict with future multiarch
24 > portage support (which would presumably use /lib32), which IIRC was hoped
25 > to be here by now, but turned out to be rather complicated and had no
26 > portage devs which had that particular itch they needed to scratch, so...
27 > (IOW, no blame or finger pointing, just that we'd hoped it'd be here by
28 > 2.1, and it isn't, and that's a fact amd64 continues to have to deal with.)
29
30 from what i remember, /emul was done because that's how some other distro was
31 doing it ... but at the time i was staying out of multilib development
32 because it sucked and i didnt have an amd64
33
34 now i have an amd64 and this current state annoys me greatly, so rather than
35 bitch all the time, i want to fix it
36 -mike