From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: mulltiib cruft: /emul
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 17:40:52
1 Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 17:50 schrieb Mike Frysinger:
2 > On Wednesday 09 August 2006 10:57, Duncan wrote:
3 > > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> posted
4 > > Pure speculation here, but the idea /might/ have been to separate
5 > > prebuilt binary stuff into /emul, so it wouldn't conflict with
6 > > future multiarch portage support (which would presumably use
7 > > /lib32), which IIRC was hoped to be here by now, but turned out to
8 > > be rather complicated and had no portage devs which had that
9 > > particular itch they needed to scratch, so... (IOW, no blame or
10 > > finger pointing, just that we'd hoped it'd be here by 2.1, and it
11 > > isn't, and that's a fact amd64 continues to have to deal with.)
12 >
13 > from what i remember, /emul was done because that's how some other
14 > distro was doing it ... but at the time i was staying out of multilib
15 > development because it sucked and i didnt have an amd64
16 >
17 > now i have an amd64 and this current state annoys me greatly, so
18 > rather than bitch all the time, i want to fix it
19
20 Herbs is maintaing the emul-libraries.
21 IMHO it shouldn't be to hard to change it from /emul to /lib32
22 and /usr/lib32. And yes, /emul was there from the very beginning aka
23 Tester/brad_mssw :-)
24
25 Danny
26 --
27 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
28 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list