From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: Social Contract change & What is "Gentoo" ?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 07:57:22
1 On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 02:32, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > You are able to find the draft at
3 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/contract.html. Comments are, as usual,
4 > appreciated. Please give it a good read, it's not a lenghty document but
5 > rather important one.
6
7 "A Gentoo Operating System is an operating system that satisfies there
8 requirements:"
9
10 s/there/three
11
12 Also, only one requirement is there: self-hosting.
13
14 "A Gentoo Project is a project listed in the Gentoo Metastructure."
15
16 It could be helpful to link to the metastructure page when it says
17 "Gentoo Metastructure."
18
19 In referencing free software, it could be helpful to link to the FSF's
20 page describing exactly what that is. The first references seems to be:
21 "free software developed by Gentoo Developers."
22
23 The use of "depend" in Gentoo depending on non-free things remains
24 unclear. Infrastructure, etc. When we say Gentoo, do we mean the whole
25 Gentoo project or Gentoo Operating Systems? One could infer the latter
26 from what the contract says, especially the Note, but it can't hurt to
27 clarify it.
28
29 The "We will not hide problems" clause should be changed to reflect
30 occasional private bugs for personnel-related (and potentially
31 security-related, although I don't think this is being done yet) issues.
32
33 Thanks,
34 --
35 Donnie Berkholz