From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 14:48:24
1 On 12/29/20 5:41 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Michał Górny wrote:
3 >>> I would be happier if some other developers were able and willing to
4 >>> participate actively in the LibreSSL project.
5 >>
6 >> But why would they do that? What I'm really missing in all the replies
7 >> is a single reason why LibreSSL would be better for anyone.
8 >
9 > Maybe because it is so well-known that monoculture is harmful per se,
10 > which is why the commitment to choice in Gentoo is very valuable.
11 >
12 > Further, LibreSSL comes out of the OpenBSD project, which has a good
13 > reputation on code quality.
16 I am sympathetic to not degrading into a monoculture. If I would
17 characterize my contribution to Gentoo over the years it would be
18 "alt-everything". The reason being that competition between
19 alternatives is a good thing and time will tell which way is best.
20
21 But <- here's the "but"
22
23 At some point a particular path may have to be dropped because it just
24 doesn't provide any clear advantages. There was nothing wrong with
25 adding libressl as an alternative in 2014 since it had promise. And
26 now, years later, I see nothing wrong with removing it. It hasn't
27 delivered.
30 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
31 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
32 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
33 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
34 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA