From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 22:41:45
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > > I would be happier if some other developers were able and willing to
3 > > participate actively in the LibreSSL project.
4 >
5 > But why would they do that? What I'm really missing in all the replies
6 > is a single reason why LibreSSL would be better for anyone.
7
8 Maybe because it is so well-known that monoculture is harmful per se,
9 which is why the commitment to choice in Gentoo is very valuable.
10
11 Further, LibreSSL comes out of the OpenBSD project, which has a good
12 reputation on code quality.
15 > a real proper, verifiable argument 'LibreSSL is better in this regard'.
16
17 Choice is about enabling people to decide for themselves.
18
19 Choice is /not/ about forcing people to formally prove utility to yourself.
22 I acknowledge that what I suggest isn't immediately enabling libressl as
23 a choice either, but it is at least far less destructive than masking and
24 removal.
27 //Peter