From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 00:00:30
1 On Tue, 2020-12-29 at 22:41 +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > > I would be happier if some other developers were able and willing
5 > > > participate actively in the LibreSSL project.
6 > >
7 > > But why would they do that?  What I'm really missing in all the
8 > > replies
9 > > is a single reason why LibreSSL would be better for anyone.
10 >
11 > Maybe because it is so well-known that monoculture is harmful per se,
12 > which is why the commitment to choice in Gentoo is very valuable.
13
14 How is that an argument for LibreSSL? If I create another fork of
15 OpenSSL and replace LibreSSL with it, your argument still stands.
16
17 > Further, LibreSSL comes out of the OpenBSD project, which has a good
18 > reputation on code quality.
19
20 I could buy that if it actually said anything about LibreSSL code
21 quality. So far you're guessing that it might or might not, especially
22 given it is forked from an apparently 'inferior quality' code.
23
24 However, I do have serious doubts about LibreSSL quality given that:
25
26 1. Non-OpenBSD systems are not first class citizens, as you yourself
27 pointed out.
28
29 2. The library is an intrusive replacement for OpenSSL. In the default
30 setup, it is neither co-installable with OpenSSL, nor a drop-in
31 replacement.
32
33 3. The upstream declares OpenSSL version constants pretty randomly,
34 without actually matching OpenSSL API.
35
36 4. The upstream has actively tried to force people into using their
37 product by tight coupling and forced incompatibility.
38
39 5. Apparently nobody is issuing CVEs for LibreSSL while
40 the vulnerabilities clearly do happen.
41
42 > > a real proper, verifiable argument 'LibreSSL is better in this
43 > > regard'.
44 >
45 > Choice is about enabling people to decide for themselves.
46
47 Choice for the sake of choice is meaningless. I can create 10 OpenSSL
48 forks right now and tell people to choose between them. However, it is
49 meaningless unless users are actually provided good and useful
50 information on what particular choices represent.
51
52 So far nobody has been able to find a strong argument for choosing
53 LibreSSL. There are strong arguments for using OpenSSL instead.
54 So what do users exactly gain from this choice? The thrill
55 of adventure? The ability to discover that they've made a bad choice
56 eventually and revert to OpenSSL?
57
58 Let's say you have food product A. Then a new alternative B appears.
59 Surely, some people will try it. But if it turns out to be bad, it
60 will eventually unprofitable and disappear. Sure, a few people will
61 complain that B is no longer there because they liked it better. But
62 they wouldn't pay extra (much extra) to keep it.
63
64 OpenSSL/LibreSSL is the same. Maybe LibreSSL had promised a better
65 taste in the beginning but today 9 out of 10 consumers say OpenSSL
66 tastes much better. The only difference is that you don't have to pay
67 for it (but we do!), so you think that it's free.
71 Best regards,
72 Michał Górny