From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: desktop@××××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Practical suggestion on moving kde/gnome packages
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:59:44
1 Hi all,
2
3 Intro: Hallski and I are searching for a way to implement moving the
4 kde/gnome packages to their new locations, I've got a script to update
5 /var/db/pkg with the new location. We ned a way to get all users to run it.
6
7 First practical suggestion: Take all ebuilds involved, i.e. kde, gnome, and
8 everyhting that depends on them. Make them run the script before taking any
9 other action, before the DEPEND statements. (The scripts are sourced, right?
10 Everything outside the functions will run first.)
11
12 Notes:
13 1. Test on developers first. Run script only if MAINTAINER=yes.
14 2. Store setting somewhere that the script has already been run, and don't
15 run it again. On the other hand, the script does nothing if you run it a
16 second time (but it takes half a second of processor time), and it's safer to
17 always run it for a time.
18 3. When will we remove the script from the ebuilds?
19 4. When we remove the copies of the ebuilds from the old locations?
20 5. How will this integrate into the job system, in case the system appears
21 before we stop using the script? (That's a philosophical question not a
22 practical one).
23
24 Hallski, hope you're reading this - I'll try to catch you later on cvs too.
29 Dan Armak
30 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
31 Matan, Israel