From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy regarding enablement of drop-in configuration files
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 21:21:18
1 On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I have been bumping heads with Mike Frysinger (vapier) on the topic of
6 > drop-in config files that are utilized by quite a few system services
7 > on Gentoo. For reference, see bug 544150.
10 I am going to the movies with Mike tomorrow, I will be sure to cuddle him
11 on your behalf.
15 > Mike claims that Gentoo has a policy of "not enabling anything by
16 > default", and that this policy applies to both init scripts, and
17 > drop-in configuration files.
20 I would say the policy for *services* is that non-critical services are not
21 enabled by default. I would argue that is a policy decision that is distro
22 wide.
23 Maintainers are of course, at liberty to determine if their service is
24 'critical' or not.
28 > I counter that we have no such policy. We don't generally enable init
29 > scripts by default because that just makes logical sense. Mike F. is
30 > trying to apply this same logic to drop-in configs, and that just
31 > doesn't fit.
36 > Regarding drop-in configuration files, there are many examples where
37 > these are generally enabled by default, or it is left to the
38 > maintainers discretion:
39 >
40 > - udev rules are enabled by default
41 > - crontab entries are left to the maintainer, but are generally
42 > enabled by default
43 > - tmpfiles.d entries are enabled by default
44 > - logrotate entries are enabled by default
45 > - binfmt.d entries are enabled by default
46 >
47 > Further, the way many of these services is designed does not allow for
48 > the drop-in configs to be easily disabled by default by the OS vendor.
49 > However, in most cases, they may be disabled by the sysadmin by use of
50 > an overriding drop-in config somewhere under /etc.
51 >
52 > My questions to the community:
53 >
54 > - Do we have a policy regarding enablement of drop-in config files?
57 Maintainers discretion.
60 > - If so, what is it? Where is it documented?
63 My brain; seriously though, generally undocumented things imply maintainers
64 discretion.
67 > - If not, do we need a policy and what should it be?
70 I hope not; but if you do something silly, be prepared to get called on it.
73 > - Keep in mind that any policy needs to be technically feasible to
74 > implement.