From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy regarding enablement of drop-in configuration files
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 00:14:47
1 On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 > On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Hi all,
7 >>
8 >> I have been bumping heads with Mike Frysinger (vapier) on the topic of
9 >> drop-in config files that are utilized by quite a few system services
10 >> on Gentoo. For reference, see bug 544150.
13 > I am going to the movies with Mike tomorrow, I will be sure to cuddle him on
14 > your behalf.
15
16 Thanks? ^_^
20 >> Mike claims that Gentoo has a policy of "not enabling anything by
21 >> default", and that this policy applies to both init scripts, and
22 >> drop-in configuration files.
25 > I would say the policy for *services* is that non-critical services are not
26 > enabled by default. I would argue that is a policy decision that is distro
27 > wide.
28 > Maintainers are of course, at liberty to determine if their service is
29 > 'critical' or not.
30
31 Right, I agree that this makes sense for services.
32
33 But I don't really think the configuration fragments I am referring to
34 could really be called "services". However, they do affect the
35 operation of services.
36
37 Should packages be allow to set/alter the configuration of a system
38 service automatically? I would say yes, and it is up to the maintainer
39 to decide what is reasonable here.
40
41 >> My questions to the community:
42 >>
43 >> - Do we have a policy regarding enablement of drop-in config files?
46 > Maintainers discretion.
49 >> - If so, what is it? Where is it documented?
52 > My brain; seriously though, generally undocumented things imply maintainers
53 > discretion.
54
55 We either have a policy that the maintainer is supposed to follow
56 (barring some reasonable exception), or we don't have a policy and the
57 maintainer can do what they want.
58
59 In the referenced bug, I'm being told that an existing policy applies
60 here and that a bunch of existing packages violate this policy; I'm
61 trying to verify if that is the case, and if so, what is the policy,
62 and how is it applicable?