From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy regarding enablement of drop-in configuration files
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 00:36:32
1 On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
6 > > On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:14 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
7 > wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >> Hi all,
10 > >>
11 > >> I have been bumping heads with Mike Frysinger (vapier) on the topic of
12 > >> drop-in config files that are utilized by quite a few system services
13 > >> on Gentoo. For reference, see bug 544150.
16 > > I am going to the movies with Mike tomorrow, I will be sure to cuddle
17 > him on
18 > > your behalf.
19 >
20 > Thanks? ^_^
23 Free cuddles for everyone!
27 > >>
28 > >>
29 > >> Mike claims that Gentoo has a policy of "not enabling anything by
30 > >> default", and that this policy applies to both init scripts, and
31 > >> drop-in configuration files.
34 > > I would say the policy for *services* is that non-critical services are
35 > not
36 > > enabled by default. I would argue that is a policy decision that is
37 > distro
38 > > wide.
39 > > Maintainers are of course, at liberty to determine if their service is
40 > > 'critical' or not.
41 >
42 > Right, I agree that this makes sense for services.
43 >
44 > But I don't really think the configuration fragments I am referring to
45 > could really be called "services". However, they do affect the
46 > operation of services.
47 >
48 > Should packages be allow to set/alter the configuration of a system
49 > service automatically? I would say yes, and it is up to the maintainer
50 > to decide what is reasonable here.
53 Personally I'm with Vapier that this is a Bad Idea(TM) for the reasons he
54 stated; but I'm unsure we have "A Policy Against It"
55
56 It seems like something one might offer an eselect module for though.
60 > >> My questions to the community:
61 > >>
62 > >> - Do we have a policy regarding enablement of drop-in config files?
65 > > Maintainers discretion.
66 > >
67 > >>
68 > >> - If so, what is it? Where is it documented?
71 > > My brain; seriously though, generally undocumented things imply
72 > maintainers
73 > > discretion.
74 >
75 > We either have a policy that the maintainer is supposed to follow
76 > (barring some reasonable exception), or we don't have a policy and the
77 > maintainer can do what they want.
78 >
79 > In the referenced bug, I'm being told that an existing policy applies
80 > here and that a bunch of existing packages violate this policy; I'm
81 > trying to verify if that is the case, and if so, what is the policy,
82 > and how is it applicable?
85 I think that is a question for Mike, if he can't reference a written
86 policy; he is probably SOL :)
87
88 -A