From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 00:57:50
1 On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > iow, git doesn't allow people to work on more than one item at a time?
4 >
5 > That'd mean I need half a dozen checkouts just to emulate cvs, which somehow
6 > doesn't make much sense to me ...
9 Well, you can work on as many things as you like in git, but it
10 doesn't keep track of what changes have to do with what things if you
11 don't commit in-between. So, you'll have a big list of changes in
12 your index, and you'll have to pick-and-choose what you commit at any
13 one time.
14
15 If you really want to work on many things "at once" the better way to
16 do it is to do a temporary branch per-thing, and when you switch
17 between things you switch between branches, and then move into master
18 things as they are done.
19
20 I assume you mean working on things that will take a while to
21 complete. If you just want to do 15 standalone commits before you
22 push you can do those sequentially easily enough. A branch would be
23 more appropriate for some kind of mini-project.
24
25 You can work on branches without pushing those to the master repo.
26 Or, if appropriate a project team might choose to push their branch to
27 master, or to some other repo (like an overlay). This would allow
28 collaborative work on a large commit, with a quick final merge into
29 the main tree. That is the beauty of git - branches are really cheap.
30 So are repositories - if somebody wants to do all their work in github
31 and then push to the main tree, they can do that.
34 Rich