From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:46:31
1 On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 8:04 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Doing this would require having portage cache a hash of whatever
4 > ebuild it last parsed, and perhaps its eclasses as well if we permit
5 > revbump-less eclass changes. Then it would have to check for when
6 > these change, perhaps this might be stored in the metadata to speed
7 > things up.
8
9 I was thinking about this a little more, and the way I'd do it is ID
10 whatever ebuild variables we want to allow to be dynamic. Then the
11 ebuild would be sourced, and then those variables would be extracted
12 and hashed, and that would be treated as the ebuilds dependency state.
13 That would be stored in the metadata, and portage would store it in
14 vdb when a package is installed.
15
16 Then portage could look for any change in state and that would trigger
17 a build-less re-merge, which would update vdb with the new state
18 (including the new hash).
19
20 With this approach you don't need minor revision numbers - any change
21 to an ebuild would be considered a minor revision, and when that is
22 inappropriate a full revbump should be used instead.
23
24 Rich