From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Reverse dependency Scanning
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:15:29
1 Well, this is something I spent quite a bit of time on yesterday, with
2 some help from bonsaikitten on figuring out the python madness.
5 Before ferringb tells it again, no, I know this isn't foolproof, cannot
6 be 100% in coverage, won't cover dlopen, conditional includes, bash
7 source inherit or other such fancy things that people do :)
8
9 However, it somewhat works ;)
10 What it does :
11 given a list of files ( `etcat files category/package` generates a
12 nice one ) it scans them, classifies into "scripts, perl, python,
13 libraries, executables" , then does its best to parse theese into
14 generating a list of -needed- files.
15
16 This means that it outputs a list of shared libraries linked against,
17 python modules imported, perl modules, and script interpreters
18 ( #!/bin/bash ...)
19
20 So, taking that list you can then play around a bit with `qpkg -f` and
21 you'll end up with a nice list of packages that are actually used.
24 So, I know it isn't foolproof, don't expect it to be. However, feedback
25 would be nice, patches and so on.
26
27 oh, where it lives? cvs : gentoo/users/spider/depreverse , expects to
28 be ran from the current directory as it calls "./..." for the included
29 scripts.
30
31 http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/users/spider/depreverse/?root=gentoo
34 //Spider