From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reviving the Sandbox project
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 10:57:34
1 On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:07:18 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > W dniu czw, 21.09.2017 o godzinie 15∶41 -0700, użytkownik Matt Turner
5 > napisał:
6 > > On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
7 > > wrote:
8 > > > Given that sandbox is utterly broken by design, I don't really
9 > > > want to put too much effort in trying to make it a little better.
10 > > > I'd rather put the minimal effort required to make it
11 > > > not-much-worse.
12 > >
13 > > You said in your initial email that you weren't an expert in its
14 > > internals, but here you say it's broken by design. Why do you think
15 > > that?
18 > Because it uses LD_PRELOAD which is a huge hack and which causes
19 > guaranteed issues we can't really fix. All we can do is disable it for
20 > emacs, for compiler-rt and I'm afraid this list will grow because
21 > overriding random library functions is never a good idea.
24 I think we're all ears for a better solution. There are probably much
25 better ways to do sandboxing these days than 15 years ago.
26
27 LD_PRELOAD does not work with static binaries. Hence the non
28 portable ptrace stuff. Hence bugs. Etc. The point is, that's the
29 best we have now.
32 Alexis.