From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:06:14
1 On Tuesday 15 July 2003 07:29, splite wrote:
2 >
3 > I hope not, otherwise you'll see it forking into "Fun Gentoo" and
4 > "Structured Gentoo". Guess where the hackers will go.
5
6 Guess where the users will go.
7
8 Although I don't like politics, they are unavoidable. There are now like 150
9 developers for gentoo. Having a single "boss", and a "lieutenant" with no
10 structure at all is not going to work. Especially as the amount of developers
11 grows. We need structure. Part of that structure is a place where things are
12 documented, like responsibilities.
13
14 The problem is that with 30 developers you could easilly ask something you
15 didn't know. Now the problem is that you can still ask, but you don't know
16 who to ask. Documenting procedure and formalizing a bit should help.
17
18 There are also many people and organizations that want gentoo to run on their
19 servers. Those people have one thing they REALLY REALLY hate, and that is
20 comming to office in the morning and finding out that the nightly world
21 update fucked up their setup, and it will take at least until the end of the
22 morning fixing things up. Normally such thing will mean a great loss of
23 productivity.
24
25 Since we believe that the gentoo technology is better than the competition,
26 even for servers we want to offer what they want while keeping what we have.
27 For offering what is needed for servers we do need more quality assurance.
28
29 With QA and the growth of the project comes a management structure. That
30 structure is inevitable. John made a proposal on how to arange parts of that
31 structure. While we will put every effort in it not to create a new debian,
32 we need to be more organized than before.
33
34 So please all discuss the merrits of his proposals. I believe that the
35 problems they try to address are there and are well accepted.
36
37 Paul
40 Paul de Vrieze
41 Researcher