From: Stroller <root@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:05:07
1 On 15/7/03 10:06 am, "Paul de Vrieze" <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > So please all discuss the merrits of his proposals. I believe that the
4 > problems they try to address are there and are well accepted.
5
6 I do not intend to make this post a criticism of Zynot, but at the time of
7 the recent fork, some of Gentoo's weaknesses with respect to leadership &
8 openness were highlighted by zwelch.
9
10 zwelch proposed that his Zynot fork would be characterised by its
11 constitution & democratic nature, and at the same time Gentoo addressed its
12 possible failings in this regard & published guidelines on its
13 restructuring.
14
15 3 weeks later, Zynot's most popular forum is about a vote to rename the
16 distro..! Even it's current name is unclear - the domain zynot.org is
17 registered, but the mailing lists come with "Re: [zynaut]" in the header.
18
19 When I visit a distribution's website, I kinda expect to find a page
20 explaining what that distro can so for me; the Zynaught page is essentially
21 a wikki, with its ethical Mission Statement & Zach's story-of-a-fork amongst
22 the most prominent links. I'm not really clear what Zynot can do for me -
23 can I install it on my x86 PC, as an alternative to Gentoo, or is it
24 focusing strictly on the imbedded market..?
25
26 Undoubtedly, it is early days for the fork, so it is not fair to diss them
27 at this stage - undoubtedly there's stuff going on in the background that
28 won't be apparent to casual observation - but equally it is not appropriate
29 for Gentoo to model itself on Zynot yet..!
30
31 The restructuring of Gentoo is too recent to have shown results yet, so
32 let's see how that goes before changing things TOO radically. It seems to me
33 to have been a correct & very positive step towards resolving management
34 issues, and additionally (as a result?) there seem to have been a number of
35 very positive proposals (including this one) recently.
36
37 #gentoo & this mailing list provide great opportunities for devs to get
38 feedback from users - as long as that feedback is not seen to be ignored,
39 then I believe that users will continue to be happy with Gentoo. I, like
40 many others, would prefer Gentoo to be fun & responsive, and that the
41 priority be on development over politics. I have a great deal of confidence
42 that Gentoo will continue to grow strongly, but will switch to Zynot should
43 I feel that it better suits my needs - in this way competition is a Good
44 Thing .
45
46 Stroller.
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list