From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:16:36
1 On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 21:57 +0200, Markus Ullmann wrote:
2 > Well at least briefly. We decided to maintain it in an official way and
3 > thus keep an eye on the quality of the checkins. As said, at least a
4 > briefly view at it and also a repoman scan.
5
6 A repoman scan won't catch subtle bugs caused in other packages by
7 packages in this overlay. It *will* add extra maintenance to any
8 package maintainer within Gentoo.
9
10 > Sounds he likes to contribute / maintain some apps, just not the whole
11 > thing you have to do when being a full dev. But he expressed his
12 > interest in this as a possible entry point. So I guess we can keep an
13 > eye on him...
14
15 Yes. This person is also fully capable of continuing to provide ebuilds
16 to bugzilla.
17
18 > But one thing is important: As the project has some overlay nature,
19 > there _may_ be the one or other small issue with it. On the other hand
20 > what ebuild is 100% bugfree? ;) QA would have nothing todo then... And
21 > here we don't break the (stable) tree if some really nasty issue ever
22 > slips through our fingers.
23
24 No, but the ebuilds are also checked by the team in question, that
25 actually knows the packages, versus a couple of developers that will be
26 overworked, dealing with packages that they are completely unfamiliar
27 with and have no experience with. I just don't see the two as equal in
28 any way. I also do not see how this helps Gentoo development. The only
29 thing that this does is allows for a few packages that hardly anyone is
30 interested in having become available for our users. That's a noble
31 effort, but there's usually a reason why these packages do not get
32 picked up.
35 Chris Gianelloni
36 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
37 x86 Architecture Team