From: Markus Ullmann <jokey@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:09:13
1 Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > > It's not a "normal" overlay as I see it. You've promoted it to be an
3 > > official overlay. The difference is huge in my opinion.
4
5 Well partly you're right. As it is promoted that way it is a bit more
6 official but anyway still an overlay.
7
8 > > Will you also review the code each and every ebuild pull down over the
9 > > internet?
10
11 Well at least briefly. We decided to maintain it in an official way and
12 thus keep an eye on the quality of the checkins. As said, at least a
13 briefly view at it and also a repoman scan.
14
15 We're going to have some contributors at it so it wouldn't be an easy
16 job but I think we can get some more of them that way.
17 Searched my inbox and found a mail saying this:
18
19 --- Paste ---
20 "He was trying to recruit me as a Gentoo developer. Unfortunately, I
21 turned him down, the main reason being time. Also, I don't really
22 need/want the status/powers/responsibilities that come with being a
23 developer, so that was another reason.
24
25 He then suggested that I become an arch-tester, or maybe contribute to
26 this public overlay that you have in mind. The arch-tester position
27 didn't seem that appealing to me. The public overlay on the other hand
28 is more suitable for me. I like to write the occasional ebuild and there
29 are some ebuilds writen by me in Bugzilla that are currently assigned to
30 maintainer-wanted so getting these in an overlay would be nice. Also, I
31 would assume that the barrier of entry and time requirements are lower
32 than the developer position.
33 --- Paste ---
34
35 Sounds he likes to contribute / maintain some apps, just not the whole
36 thing you have to do when being a full dev. But he expressed his
37 interest in this as a possible entry point. So I guess we can keep an
38 eye on him...
39
40 But one thing is important: As the project has some overlay nature,
41 there _may_ be the one or other small issue with it. On the other hand
42 what ebuild is 100% bugfree? ;) QA would have nothing todo then... And
43 here we don't break the (stable) tree if some really nasty issue ever
44 slips through our fingers.
45
46 Greetz,
47 Jokey