From: Chris Bainbridge <chrb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:59:53
1 On Tuesday 10 August 2004 22:24, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 16:19, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
3 > > So heres the cheeky proposal... make a "redhat" release. Follow redhats
4 > > release cycle, and match their versions. Use their backported fixes.
5 > > Commercial software will work. Bugs will be fixed. This is the power of
6 > > open source.
7 >
8 > Why? So users can have portage and the "commercial vendors" will still
9 > release their stuff in RPM only and expect the exact same libraries of
10 > the same versions to be installed with the same features as Red Hat.
11
12 Yes.
13
14 > Are you also wanting to get rid of USE flags? How about CFLAGS? To be
15 > able to ensure Red Hat compatibility, both of those would have to be
16 > standardized to be exactly like Red Hat's. This means CFLAGS would be
17 > what Red Hat uses and we would compile with the same ./configure options
18 > on each package. At that point, we're wasting an enormous amount of
19 > time trying to be Red Hat, and no time trying to make Gentoo better.
20
21 Reproducing the binaries exactly is obviously not possible or desirable, but
22 if you pin all the package versions then everything will be compatible; it
23 would use same gcc, same binutils, libraries etc. Not perfect, but good
24 enough.
25
26 I would also suggest that if this GLEP goes ahead each package maintainer
27 should have a choice as to whether their package is in the frozen tree.
28 Otherwise in 6 months time users will be filing bugs, getting the "won't
29 support this/please upgrade" response, and complaining that its meant to be a
30 frozen tree with a long bug fix cycle.
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list