From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:03:55
1 On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 16:19, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > Ok I've been following this thread for a while and have a few observations and
3 > a cheeky proposal. Observations:
4 >
5 > * I don't believe gentoo has many developers who are interested in supporting
6 > "old" software. It just doesn't scratch the itch.
7
8 Agreed.
9
10 > * We don't have the resources to backport security fixes either. Upgrading is
11 > not an option for many enterprises, they want backports. Someone mentioned
12 > grabbing fixes from other distros... fine, but what if the versions differ?
13
14 Fix it for the version in question. It's usually a lot easier to fix a
15 broken patch than to discover and patch a problem yourself.
16
17 > What about major non-security bug fixes?
18
19 This hasn't been discussed. Personally, I think any fix that doesn't
20 alter functionality (typo fixes, bug fixes) or add new features is
21 fine. Some people will want security fixes and nothing else.
22
23 > * A 1 year support cycle isn't long enough for enterprise users.
24
25 We're not talking about commercial support here. Also, we aren't
26 talking about providing *any* semblance of support. The idea is to get
27 a tree out there, as that seems to be enough to satisfy a large number
28 of people. Perhaps having the tree out there will bring forth more
29 help. Perhaps it'll bring about an interested third party willing to
30 offer commercial support. Perhaps it'll bring about nothing. No matter
31 what the outcome, it doesn't cost us much in time, and it satisfies a
32 good number of our users, so we should do it.
33
34 > * Redhat has the resources to run enterprise support. They do backports and
35 > bugfixes. For years.
36
37 No argument here... They will fix whatever you want, provided you "show
38 them the money", so to speak.
39
40 > * Redhat is the standard for enterprise linux (if you want oracle, eda
41 > software etc.). Many companies don't even test on anything else. I have a
42 > stack of commercial chip design software here, and all of it is redhat only.
43
44 I'll agree here, too.
45
46 > So heres the cheeky proposal... make a "redhat" release. Follow redhats
47 > release cycle, and match their versions. Use their backported fixes.
48 > Commercial software will work. Bugs will be fixed. This is the power of open
49 > source.
50
51 Why? So users can have portage and the "commercial vendors" will still
52 release their stuff in RPM only and expect the exact same libraries of
53 the same versions to be installed with the same features as Red Hat.
54 Are you also wanting to get rid of USE flags? How about CFLAGS? To be
55 able to ensure Red Hat compatibility, both of those would have to be
56 standardized to be exactly like Red Hat's. This means CFLAGS would be
57 what Red Hat uses and we would compile with the same ./configure options
58 on each package. At that point, we're wasting an enormous amount of
59 time trying to be Red Hat, and no time trying to make Gentoo better.
62 Chris Gianelloni
63 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
64 Gentoo Linux
65
66 Is your power animal a penguin?