From: Chris Bainbridge <chrb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:19:30
1 On Tuesday 10 August 2004 19:33, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > Bottom line, "Enterprise Gentoo" would consist of whatever is in those
3 > profiles, which means they are thoroughly tested, supported. People can
4 > use packages not in the profile at their discretion, perhaps locking
5 > versions in /etc/portage. However packages don't get the same treatment
6 > & testing unless it's in an enterprise profile, and hence they aren't
7 > supported the same.
8 >
9 > We need to discuss the kinds of profiles we'd like to create (for different
10 > roles) ... e.g., workstation, firewall, webserver, fileserver, cluster,
11 > etc. This would, I believe, fit into the Installer project without any
12 > extra effort.
13
14 Ok I've been following this thread for a while and have a few observations and
15 a cheeky proposal. Observations:
16
17 * I don't believe gentoo has many developers who are interested in supporting
18 "old" software. It just doesn't scratch the itch.
19
20 * We don't have the resources to backport security fixes either. Upgrading is
21 not an option for many enterprises, they want backports. Someone mentioned
22 grabbing fixes from other distros... fine, but what if the versions differ?
23 What about major non-security bug fixes?
24
25 * A 1 year support cycle isn't long enough for enterprise users.
26
27 * Redhat has the resources to run enterprise support. They do backports and
28 bugfixes. For years.
29
30 * Redhat is the standard for enterprise linux (if you want oracle, eda
31 software etc.). Many companies don't even test on anything else. I have a
32 stack of commercial chip design software here, and all of it is redhat only.
33
34 So heres the cheeky proposal... make a "redhat" release. Follow redhats
35 release cycle, and match their versions. Use their backported fixes.
36 Commercial software will work. Bugs will be fixed. This is the power of open
37 source.
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list