From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:34:37
1 On Tuesday 10 August 2004 7:33 am, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > While I don't care about tarball vs. rsync (both don't matter that much
3 > to me) I don't think a profile is a solution. It would contain too many
4 > packages. Further it would still need maintenance for new packages as
5 > packages that are not pinned in the profile are available freely
6
7 I don't believe the object here is to put every package in the tree in the
8 profiles. That's unrealistic to maintain, I agree.
9
10 What should be in the profiles: system packages (libc, cc, kernel, etc),
11 KDE, Gnome, dependencies and other commonly-used app packages (apache,
12 php, etc). We start with a basic collection of packages we know everyone
13 uses, and add to the profiles as folks complain about missing items.
14 (This is where having voting in Bugzilla would be handy).
15
16 Bottom line, "Enterprise Gentoo" would consist of whatever is in those
17 profiles, which means they are thoroughly tested, supported. People can
18 use packages not in the profile at their discretion, perhaps locking
19 versions in /etc/portage. However packages don't get the same treatment
20 & testing unless it's in an enterprise profile, and hence they aren't
21 supported the same.
22
23 We need to discuss the kinds of profiles we'd like to create (for different
24 roles) ... e.g., workstation, firewall, webserver, fileserver, cluster,
25 etc. This would, I believe, fit into the Installer project without any
26 extra effort.
27
28 Also Kurt proposed a schedule of one release per year I believe. I tend to
29 think we can manage two (every 6 months), particularly early on as we need
30 to get a feel of what people want/expect.
31
32 Cheers,
33 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
34 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F